Something healthy to do with the kids this weekend – try this delicious Chocolate Gingerbread Men recipe from The Banting Baker
More about the book!
What if we told you that there was a way to continue indulging in delicious comfort food, but in a healthier manner? Try this recipe for Chocolate Gingerbread Men from The Banting Baker by Catherine Speedie!
During lockdown, the highlight of most of our days is reaching for our favourite snacks to cheer ourselves up. People tend to seek high-calorie, high-fat foods during periods of stress. It’s understandable that the number on the scale is going up. We are moving less but eating more. Let’s face it – with nothing to do, nowhere to go, and no jeans to fit into, it’s easy to pile on the kilos.
But giving in to your craving and sticking to healthier goals can go hand in hand.
With this in mind, Jacana Media has shared a recipe for delicious Chocolate Gingerbread Men from The Banting Baker.
The Banting diet is one of the most popular food trends of the decade. The Banting Baker makes low-carb living accessible to everyone and shows that this lifestyle is definitely not about deprivation.
This weekend, treat the family to these:
Chocolate Gingerbread Men
Makes a village of gingerbread men
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2/3 cup erythritol/xylitol granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 free-range or pastured eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons xylitol syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine almond meal, coconut flour, cocoa powder, sweetener, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix together thoroughly.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine eggs, melted butter or coconut oil, xylitol syrup and vanilla extract. Mix together well. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Once dough is thoroughly mixed, place bowl of dough in freezer for 8 minutes. Remove from freezer and place between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll dough into a flat rectangle that will fit on your baking tray.
- Peel away top parchment paper slowly and press out gingerbread men with your cookie cutter, gently lifting the men onto a well-greased baking tray. Use up remaining pastry by balling together, rolling the dough out again and cutting as many more men as your size cutter delivers. Your yield will depend on the size of your cutter.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes, checking at 10 minutes, or until browned. Remove baking tray from oven and let cool completely before moving as they’re not as robust as the little men containing gluten!