Yum, yum, yum. Try these binge-worthy Halloumi fries from Low-Carb Express by Vickie De Beer
More about the book!
Get the recipe for these binge-worthy Halloumi fries from Low-Carb Express, the new cookbook by Vickie de Beer!
We would all love to eat less carbohydrates and switch to a low-carb diet, but many of us think we just do not have the time. We believe that low-carb cooking and baking are time consuming, because you have to start from scratch, and it involves specialised ingredients which may be expensive or hard to find.
Not so, says Vickie de Beer, who believes the problem lies in the fact that we have become afraid of the kitchen and lost the knowhow of basic cooking techniques. The truth is that you can still cook nutritional and flavourful meals without refined carbohydrates even when you are pressed for time.
In Low-carb Express, Vickie shows that with a little planning and better time management, you can cook healthy meals in a cinch that will not only benefit you and your family’s overall health, but might also benefit your budget!
‘These are my go-to snack for movie night. Quick to prepare and really yummy, they’re best served piping hot.’
- 60 ml olive or coconut oil
- 300 g halloumi
- juice of 1 lemon
1. Heat half the oil in a non-stick medium frying pan over medium to high heat. Place a plate lined with paper towel next to the pan.
2. Thinly slice the halloumi lengthwise and then into thin fries. Start frying the first batch while you slice the rest.
3. Fry the halloumi fries for 1 minute on each side until crispy. Do not turn them too soon or they will break up. Drain the crispy, golden fries on paper towel. Fry the remaining fries in batches, adding more oil as needed.
4. Squeeze over some lemon juice just before serving.
- Make a quick chilli oil to drizzle over the fries before serving: combine 30 ml olive oil with 1/2 finely chopped chilli and a small pinch of salt.
- Season the fries with a flavoured salt: combine 30 ml sea-salt flakes with 5 ml ground cumin, 5 ml smoke paprika and 2.5 ml chilli flakes.
- Serve as a side with your favourite grilled fish or steak dishes.