Try this Protein-packed Berry Ice Cream from Thrive: Healthy Recipes that Break the Diet Rules
More about the book!
The only thing better than ice cream is a recipe with the added promise of healthy ageing!
In Thrive: Healthy Recipes that Break the Diet Rules, Nicci Robertson’s message is clear: when you eat the right foods in the right quantities, your body will respond positively and you will thrive both physically and mentally.
Check out her recipe for Protein-packed Berry Ice Cream, and discover more good-for-you recipes at the link above!
Protein-packed Berry Ice Cream
Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and cherries all make delicious ice cream. The deep red, purple and blue pigments of berries are often associated with increased levels of antioxidants and the promise of healthy ageing.
- 300 g fresh or frozen berries
- 2 cups (500 g) double cream plain yoghurt
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 2 scoops (4 Tbsp) vanilla whey protein powder
Makes ± 1.5 litres or 12 lollies
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. (If you prefer some texture, roughly chop half the berries and stir them in after you have processed the rest of the ingredients.)
- Scoop the mixture into a metal loaf pan or 12 lolly moulds and freeze for 2–3 hours, until set. (If using a loaf pan, remove it from the freezer every 40 minutes and use a fork to stir the mixture to prevent ice crystals from forming.) If using an ice cream maker, follow the instructions. (You may need to freeze the bowl for 24 hours beforehand.)
Note For chocolate ice cream, use 1 large banana instead of the berries, and chocolate-flavoured whey protein powder.