Slikour: The Life Story of a Hip-Hop Pioneer – an all-access pass to the local hip-hop industry
More about the book!
Ready for the ultimate behind-the-scenes peek into the life of a music industry maverick? Slikour: The Life Story of a Hip-Hop Pioneer is out now from Penguin Random House!
Siya Metane together with Helen Herimbi-Moremi have created a must-read for anyone craving a story of courage and inspiration.
Join Penguin Random House on this unforgettable journey through the highs and lows of one of hip-hop’s most iconic founding members.
Siya ‘Slikour’ Metane is a musician and entrepreneur best known as one of the founding members of the record-breaking hip-hop group Skwatta Kamp.
Told with signature humour, this memoir gives readers an all-access pass to the moments and the music that made the man, detailing the courage it took to overcome his self-doubt and to mould himself into a media maverick.
From small beginnings in the East Rand to gaining mainstream recognition and going solo, celebrity dating and breaking up the band, hitting rock bottom and rising up to make it as a digital media pioneer, Slikour takes us through the highs and lows of his journey to becoming a force to be reckoned with. He unpacks the energy that connected the dots that propelled the success of everyone he came into contact with.
Featuring never-known-before experiences with big names including Zola, Bonang Matheba and Kwesta as well as brands like KFC, Coca-Cola, Butan and Kaizer Chiefs, this is a candid look at what it takes to make it in the South African music and digital media scenes and what connection can achieve.
Categories Lifestyle Non-fiction South Africa
Tags Helen Herimbi-Moremi Music New books New releases Penguin Random House SA Siya Metane Slikour
- Five minutes with Eben Venter on his new novel Decima
- Don’t miss the launch of Justice Malala’s new book The Plot to Save South Africa: Chris Hani’s Murder and the Week Nelson Mandela Averted Civil War at Love Books (2 Jun)
- Dearest MaRiky: A Mother’s Journey through Grief, Trauma and Healing – Louisa Zondo heals through life and death
- Footnotes, May 2023: Book links from around the web
- ‘Onwards is more than just a cookbook: it tells the story of my journey since closing The Kitchen, and having to redefine my life without it.’