Footnotes, October 2019: Book links from around the web
At The Reading List, we’re trainspotters when it comes to interesting book links, and here are a number that caught our eye over the last month. Browse and enjoy!
- Starting with banned books. You wan’t ’em? We got ’em. It was banned books week in the US a few weeks ago, and CNN has the 11 ‘most challenged’ titles of the year – including the likes of Captain Underpants (!). Sies, Americans!
- In reviews, Lawson Naidoo takes a look at Lawfare by Michelle le Roux and Dennis Davis; Sam Jordison reviews the ‘agonisingly meta but fun’ The Unauthorised Biography of Ezra Maas by Daniel James; and David Runciman reviews a certain David Cameron’s memoir For the Record, and there are fireworks (the piece is called ‘His Fucking Referendum’, for one, and its opening line is ‘Are you a team player or are you a wanker?’)
- Zadie Smith is outchea defending fiction and we’re 100% here for it
- The Wall Street Journal asks the rather tired question, Does the book have a future? Erm, yes.
- It’s the London Review of Books’ 40th birthday, and so we’re spreading the link love – here’s another review from the LRB’s anniversary edition, on top of the Runciman one above, by Patricia Lockwood on the novels of John Updike, which starts: “I was hired as an assassin. You don’t bring in a 37-year-old woman to review John Updike in the year of our Lord 2019 unless you’re hoping to see blood on the ceiling.” Tea, anyone?
- Finally, steel yourself – no really – and read about the imminent end of the world. It’s not strictly books, but it’s important, in terms of maintaining the requisite level of moment-to-moment gut-wrenching despair. Bonus: Leonard Cohen features. The only consolation is that it’s not your fault, dear reader.
- Actually, we can’t leave you on that link. Hey look, it’s #bookstagram!
Tags Banned Books Week Bookstagram Captain Underpants Catherine Ingram Daniel James David Cameron Footnotes For the Record John Updike Leonard Cohen London Review of Books Patricia Lockwood The Unauthorised Biography of Ezra Maas Wall Street Journal Zadie Smith
- Archipelago Books free ebook library
- Wonder wat jy gaan doen vir die volgende 21 dae? Jou gunsteling LAPA titels is nou as e-boeke beskikbaar
- Jacana Media Solidarity Reads Day 4: Redi Tlhabi, Bonnie Mbuli and Zoleka Mandela – 21% off for 21 days!
- Are you new to reading ebooks? Here’s a South African guide from Penguin Random House
- Presenting Abi Daré’s debut novel The Girl with the Louding Voice – ‘A celebration of girls who dare to dream’