The Manifesto Mixtape – listen to the Sound of Jacana, hosted by Charles Leonard
More about the book!
The Sound of Jacana Podcast and Mixtape, hosted by Charles Leonard, is out now!
This edition, The Manifesto Mixtape, is compiled to be listened to as you read The Communist Manifesto: The Modern South African Edition.
Press ‘play’ on this mixtape of red-tinted songs … by a range of lefties, Marxists, commies and socialists.
It’s all about Marx, Marxism, Communism, Socialism and class struggle.
About the book
‘the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all.’
The burden of capitalism’s need for unlimited profits has resulted in profound inequality, the climate crisis and the corrosion of democracy across the globe.
The manifesto, with the insights that come with the translations and the times of their writing, is a vantage point from where to view the document in a South African light, and to visit and revisit this still urgent text.
Jeremy Cronin concludes his eloquent introduction:
‘For Marx and Engels, politics is not just “the art of the possible”. It is also an ever-enquiring science of the probable, and a passionate engagement with what is desirable […]’
This volume comprises:
- Leon Trotsky’s Afrikaans introduction to the 1937 edition with an English translation
- Neville Alexander’s 2002 introduction in isiZulu and English to the isiZulu translation
- A new isiZulu translation
- An introduction to this edition by Jeremy Cronin
As the first in the new series Radical Pasts, Radical Futures, this edition of The Communist Manifesto is a vantage point from where to view the lives, work and creativity of ordinary South Africans in the years 1937, 2002 & 2022, and a prompt to visit and revisit Marx and Engels’s urgent text.
Categories International Non-fiction South Africa
Tags Charles Leonard Communism Jacana Media Jeremy Cronin Marxism Music Neville Alexander Podcasts Socialism Sound of Jacana The Communist Manifesto
- Don’t miss the launch of Harry Oppenheimer: Diamonds, Gold and Dynasty by Michael Cardo in Joburg (24 Apr)
- It’s the weekend! Make it even better with these Sunday Cinnamon Rolls from Sarah Graham’s new cookbook, Good + Simple
- ‘I never really wanted to be a police officer.’ Read an excerpt from Stuart MacBride’s chilling new thriller The Dead of Winter
- Dazzling by Chikodili Emelumadu – a magical, award-winning literary debut that offers a new take on West African mythology
- Eight hours. Six friends. Read an excerpt from Five Survive by bestselling, award-winning author Holly Jackson