Footnotes, October 2020: Book links from around the web
At The Reading List, we’re trainspotters when it comes to interesting book links, and here are a number that caught our eye.
- Here it is! The American Library Association’s Top 100 Banned and Challenged Books of the Decade. Fascinating list / that makes you wish / boors didn’t exist.
- Support Afro Surf, the “first book to extensively document African surfers and their culture”. No brainer.
- Forrest Fenn has died. His authorial life was damned fascinating. Who knows if the treasure he buried in the mountains was in fact ever found, as he claimed. Who knows?
- Right, so George RR Martin wanted to build a castle on his property to house his library. The town where he lives, Santa Fe, New Mexico, shut that down real quick.
- Publishers are being subpoenaed in the US for publishing books critical of Trump. But that isn’t stopping them.
- Meanwhile, a couple of people are contemplating how to rebuild after the current US president has left the White House.
- Editing the Notorious RBG would be a helluva thing, wouldn’t it?
- Will Self’s new drug memoir reviewed!
- Over at the Sydney Review of Books, James Jiang remembers Eileen Chang, who would have been 100 this September.