Footnotes, August 2019: Book links from around the web
At The Reading List, we’re trainspotters when it comes to interesting book links, and here are a number that caught our eye over the last month. Browse and enjoy!
- WhatsApp in the world of books? Find out on the new WhatsApp voice note show Read This!, hosted by The JRB and Volume.
- Did you know? SA author Andie Miller (Slow Motion: Stories about Walking, 2010) had a career as a voiceover actor – and voiced Alice in a cartoon adaptation of Alice in Wonderland, no less. All episodes of the show are online, on YouTube: start here with episode one. Something for the kids!
- The Enforcers: Inside Cape Town’s deadly nightclub battles lays Cape Town’s underworld bare: here’s a review, and here’s an excerpt, which entails a bizarre plot to assassinate Nelson Mandela.
- ‘Schadenfreude‘, a key word for understanding modern times, became part of the English lexicon in 1853. Read more about how it made the jump from Europe here.
- Ocean Vuong‘s novel On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous is attracting attention. Here’s an excellent introduction to the book.
- ‘I want to point out, because it suddenly seems relevant, that the only ones who read my book were women.’ Here’s a terrific long read by Ayşegül Savaş on practising literary citizenship as a woman.
- An epic new biography of Eric Hobsbawm, by Richard J Evans, has come out from Oxford University Press. Fresh reviews here and here.
- Bring back Iris Murdoch! Issa thing.
- Here are some new love letters between Saul Bellow and Bette Howland.
- Bookshops as we know them were invented by a fellow called James Lackington; read more on him here.
- Last, Laurent Binet charmed us all when he attended the Franschhoek Literary Festival some years back. Here’s a review of his latest, The 7th Function of Language.
Photo courtesy the YouTube/alice83
Tags Alice in Wonderland Andie Miller Ayşegül Savaş Bette Howland Eric Hobsbawm Footnotes Iris Murdoch James Lackington Lauren Binet Literary Citizenship Ocean Vuong On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous Richard J Evans Saul Bellow Schadenfreude The 7th Function of Language The Enforcers YouTube