Love Books and The Book Lounge cancel book launches until further notice – but will need your support, so keep buying books! (Home delivery available)
Two of our favourite independent bookshops, Love Books and The Book Lounge, have announced that they have decided to cancel all book launches until further notice.
On Sunday, 15 March, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a national state of disaster, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Both Love Books and The Book Lounge will, however, continue to operate, and are offering book deliveries (free within a certain radius) for those who are unable or reluctant to visit the store.
Small businesses will need our support during this time, and what better way to keep yourself occupied at home than a good book!
- 2020 Franschhoek Literary Festival cancelled because of COVID-19
- Durban’s Time of the Writer book festival cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic (alternative digital version being planned)
Statement from Love Books (Melville, Johannesburg):
In the light of the President’s speech, we have decided to cancel book launches until further notice. We will assess the situation week by week and keep you posted.
Please note that for now we remain open for business at our normal trading hours – 9 am to 5 pm.
We are going to be relying more than ever on your support to keep our small business going, so please do come and browse.
If you are self-isolating or don’t want to venture out , we are able to courier at a small fee.
Deliveries within a 10 km radius are free.
To place orders, or even just to chat about recommendations (we have new stock coming in all the time), please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Anna at email@example.com or phone us on 011 726 7408.
Statement from The Book Lounge (Cape Town):
I decided over the weekend to cancel all launches and events at the Book Lounge for the next couple of weeks at least. I had written an explanation of this decision but in the light of the President’s announcement last night, that explanation is now redundant.
Covid-19, loadshedding, the recession, ongoing inequality and so many other issues are going to make it increasingly difficult for small companies to stay afloat. I appeal to those of you who decide to self-isolate to find ways to still support businesses that you would like to see survive the next few months.
In our case, please consider using our delivery service (and if you are doing your best to self-isolate, surely you will need some great books to keep you company!).
– Free delivery of books with a minimum value of R300 within a 20 km radius of the Book Lounge
– A small delivery fee will be charged for orders under R300 or for deliveries outside of the 20 km radius
– Nothing replaces browsing the shelves of a bookstore, but if you send us an email with the title/author of the last two books you really enjoyed, we will happily recommend books we believe will be great next stops on your personal reading journey
– Our online store will be regularly updated with a small selection of books, but you can also purchase a gift voucher to use at a later time
Mervyn and the Book Lounge Team