Join Anthea Jeffery for the launch of her new book Countdown to Socialism in Joburg (2 Aug)
More about the book!
Jonathan Ball Publishers and Exclusive Books invite you to the launch of Countdown to Socialism: The National Democratic Revolution in South Africa since 1994 by Anthea Jeffery.
The National Democratic Revolution (NDR) is the policy blueprint of the governing ANC/SACP alliance, who have been implementing it in different spheres for more than two decades. It is intended to provide ‘the most direct route’ to a socialist South Africa and is the key to understanding events in the country since the 1994 transition.
Although many important steps towards Expropriation without Compensation and other NDR objectives have already been taken or are well in train, most South Africans have never been informed about the NDR and its destructive goals. With growth stalling, joblessness at crisis levels, and governance unravelling, people cannot fathom why the ANC does not implement meaningful reforms. Understand the NDR, however, and its underlying priorities become apparent.
Written in clear and simple language, this book provides an indispensable primer on the NDR and its crucial role in the countdown to socialism in South Africa.
Date: Wednesday 2 August 2023
Time: 18:00 for 18:30
Venue: Exclusive Books, Rosebank Mall, Johannesburg
- In the latest episode of Pagecast, Mary Beard, author of Emperor of Rome, is in conversation with Batya Bricker
- Footnotes, November 2023: Book links from around the web
- Happy Indoor Garden – a practical guide for happy plants, a happy home and happy humans!
- Now a major TV series! A new edition of Catch Me a Killer by South Africa’s first-ever profiler Micki Pistorius
- Jojo – Strictly star Johannes Radebe’s uplifting memoir about overcoming struggles and finding joy