Footnotes, September 2020: Book links from around the web
At The Reading List, we’re trainspotters when it comes to interesting book links, and here are a number that caught our eye.
- David Graeber, an inspiration to activists for social justice everywhere – he occupied Wall Street, helped coin the phrase ‘we are the 99%’ and galvanised millions with his books Debt: The First 5,000 Years and Bullshit Jobs – is no more, having died too young at 59 years of age. This is the really, really, really, really rotten cherry on the top of 2020 🙁 🙁 .
- The great American activist and legislator John Lewis is also no longer with us (1940-2020); here’s a snippet from an audiobook on his life.
- How’s your German? Austrian writer Thomas Glavinic‘s 2006 novel Night Work, which foreshadows our current COVID times, is being serialised in Welt. Alternatively, just get a copy of the English translation.
- Erm, Ocean Vuong has written a book that you’ll only be able to read in 2114. He’s the latest contributor to the Future Library which … well, just click the link. It’s all very Norwegish, we mean, Norwegian.
- South Africa’s historic Lovedale Press needs your help; Athi-Patra Ruga and Lesoko Seabe have started an online fundraiser to help it claw back to viability. Will you chip in?
- PS – Follow Victory of the Word, the Lovedale Press fundraising campaign, on Instagram.
- There are so many unflattering Trump books. Here’s another.
- Trust us, you really need a Game of Thrones laugh.
- Last but not least, author Diana Schwartz discovered that a Redditor called nonono_ohhoho identified certain ingredients that author John Boyne used for a clothing dye recipe in his novel, The Traveler at the Gates of Wisdom, as straight from the Zelda video game Breath of the Wild – ! Busted, Mr Boyne! (He promised to add Zelda to the acknowledgments page of the novel’s paperback.)
Tags Athi-Patra Ruga Autobiography of Hodor Breath of the Wild Bullshit Jobs David Graeber Debt Diana Schwartz Die Arbeit der Nacht Footnotes Future Library John Boyne John Lewis Lesoko Seabe Lovedale Press Night Work nonono_ohhoho North from Winterfell Ocean Vuong The First 5000 Years The Traveler at the Gates of Wisdom Thomas Glavinic Victory of the Word Zelda