2017 Writivism Prize shortlists announced – with stories from South Africa, Cameroon, Malawi and Nigeria
More about the book!
The shortlists for the 2017 Writivism Short Story Prize and the Koffi Addo Prize for Creative Non-fiction have been announced!
The eight shortlisted writers hail from South Africa, Cameroon, Malawi and Nigeria.
2017 Writivism Short Story Prize shortlist
- Fairies by Saaleha Bhamjee (South Africa)
- Mobache by Régine Gwladys Lebouda (Cameroon)
- Stolen Pieces by Munachim Amah (Nigeria)
- The (Un)Lucky Ones by Andrew C Dakalira (Malawi)
- This Story Has No End by Blessing J Christopher (Nigeria)
2017 Koffi Addo Prize for Creative Non-fiction shortlist
- A Long Way From Home by Vivian Uchechi Ogbonna (Nigeria)
- Finding Binyavanga by Sada Malumfashi (Nigeria)
- Meat Bomb by Charles King (South Africa)
This year the Short Story Prize was judged by Helon Habila (chair), Sumayya Lee, Ayesha Harruna Attah, Emmanuel Sigauke and Edwige-Renée Dro. The Koffi Addo Prize judging panel was EC Osondu (chair), Panashe Chigumadzi and Angela Kintu Rwabose.
The winners will be announced at the 2017 Writivism Festival in Kampala, Uganda, which takes place from 17-20 August.
The winner of the Short Story Prize receives $400 and the opportunity to take up a one month writing residency at Stellenbosch University in South Africa.
Short Story prize shortlistees are given the opportunity to attend the Writivism Festival and win $100 each.
The winner of the Koffi Addo Prize receives $500.